Friday, August 04, 2006


My friend Neale Shafer put a Daisy Chainsaw song on a mix tape he made for me back when I was still in high school. It was "Pink Flower" off the 7" of the same name. I was hooked. I loved how poppy the songs were, but they were still grossly distorted and with this insane sounding chick singing.

Fast forward a few years. I'd just moved to Richmond and soon after found out that Daisy Chainsaw was playing at the 9:30 club on Halloween. Fuck yeah! So me, Neale, and Erik Sugg packed our bags and headed up there. They were giving away flexis (as pictured above) at the door and halloween masks so those of us without costumes wouldn't feel left out.

After the opening band played (Sugar Smack I think) the lights dimmed and the band started making noise. Katie Jane Garside was on stage with a baby doll and a drill. She kept saying "I hear you've been talking about me," in this maniacal voice. She was wearing a fairy looking dress and had long blue hair, and kept saying that over and over while occasionally drilling holes in the baby dolls head. The baby had band-aids on either side of its head. Eventually she ended up perched on a chair hanging over the audience as the music kept getting louder and louder. Then she jumps off the chair and slams down hard on the stage which cues the band to launch into "I Feel Insane." It turns out her hair was a wig and her head had band-aids in the same place as she was drilling the baby doll's head. Fucking nuts.

Love Your Money
Pink Flower
Sick Of Sex
All The Kids Agree
Room 11
Hope Your Dreams Come True
Propeller Punch
Queue For Transatlantic Alien

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the songs - I was so glad to have access to those old records!

4:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

excellent history of underground punk in richmond a very vast collection of great records which cannot be found anymore especially trisk damn those drums destroy even better live good work john

3:56 PM  
Blogger John Swart said...

Thanks! Check out Audiosuede for more of the saga.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home